Monday 10 December 2012

A Wintry Walk

Having done the school runs I ventured down to the Weaselhead Trail which is one of my favourite birding places in Calgary. As I left the car the temperature was a sweltering 2 degrees and I was feeling pretty warm with all my arctic kit on.  Some kind soul had put bird food along the trail on posts and in small boxes attached to trees.  This was where most of the birds were. 
Common Redpoll

Arctic (Hoary) Redpoll

 


Most were Common Redpolls with about 200 in all but I did find a very pale bird with a pure white rump which I am convinced was an Arctic (Hoary) Redpoll. Black-capped Chickadees were also obvious along with Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches.  A few House Finches were also present and Downy Woodpeckers were always in the background.  A sparrow on the road turned out to be an American Tree Sparrow.

White-breasted Nuthatch


Coming back to the car park I bumped into a group of thirty spectacular White-winged Crossbills sadly to skittish to get any pictures.  A good start and I hope to get out again.



No comments:

Post a Comment