Monday 30 July 2012

An Evening Out

Another very hot day so I contented myself watching the Cross Country Equestrian Olympic Event. I did make a brief sortie into the garden to see what was happening.  A rather scruffy Woodchat Shrike was perched on the overhead wires and making forays down into the garden for prey.  Twice he caught what looked like a small lizard.

Woodchat Shrike hunting from the wires

Insects were obvious with the usual Scarce Swallowtails but I did notice a Brown Argus.

Scarce Swallowtail
Brown Argus
Hummingbird Hummingbirds were about too but as difficult as ever to photograph.

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

After watching the Olympics for the rest of the day I ventured out at 7pm.  It was cooling off now and some birds were obvious.  One or two Hoopoes, lots of Woodchat Shrike families and also a very active Roller family.

Young Roller
I finished off sitting by a roadside first listening to singing Nightjars and then being entertained by one calling and chasing insects right in front of me.  Life is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment