Thursday 12 April 2012

In the Marsh Again

Working in the garden all morning and only a calling Cuckoo of note.



Great White Egret

At 3pm I left for my beloved marsh near Capestang full of anticipation.  The weather was strange - high cloud but very still and quite mild.  Starting my walk I was immediately aware of egrets flying about and it was not long before I deduced that 4 Great White Egrets were present amongst about 20 Little Egrets.  Looking up 2 Black Kites were interacting with five Marsh Harriers.  A single Buzzard was hunting the marsh and a Short-toed Eagle passed over high up.


Female Marsh Harrier

I was surprised that the marsh was not full of warbler song but it was almost silent.  Half a dozen Bearded Tits were reasonably active but I did hear 3 Moustached Warblers and eventually one brief snatch of Reed Warbler song.  Little Grebes and Water Rails were noisy and 4 Blue-headed Wagtails were present on the path.



Little Grebe

After a while Purple Herons began to make an appearance and 6 were located during the visit.  Scoping a large area of shallow water was productive.  Four Black-winged Stilts and 2 Snipe were busy feeding but 2 Glossy Ibis were my first for the site.  I turned to head back and by now hundreds of Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins were feeding over the marsh and c50 Swifts were high up overhead.




Purple Heron

By the time I got back to the car the rain started.  It was a strange darkish day so no new photos today.

No comments:

Post a Comment