Sunday 1 January 2012

The Year starts again

First of all a Happy New Year to all!



Blue Tit - first bird of 2012

I usually go out on New Years Day to begin my new year list.  It is just a bit of fun and starts birding activity in earnest.  Well the diabolical weather continues and most of the day it just bucketed down with rain and high winds as well.  I topped up the garden feeders and thought I might as well start 2012 by watching from the window.  Unsurprisingly the first species was a Blue Tit and things did not get much better for a while.  Soon 3 Siskins arrived at the niger feeder quickly followed by a Goldfinch so the pulse quickened.  Great Spotted Woodpecker arrived as usual as did a couple of Nuthatches.


Nuthatch

I struggled on peering into the gloom and it was mid-afternoon before I got a House Sparrow.  Going outside in a lull in the rain produced Jay, Carrion Crow and Magpie.  In the dusk a Wood Pigeon and a Collared Dove went into oaks in our car park.


Jay

Finally my total reached twenty when I was putting out the refuse sacks for collecton.  A couple of Tawny Owls were noisily performing by the house. Sunshine is forecast for tomorrow so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment