Monday 18 July 2011

Afternoon of the Butcher Birds

This afternoon my grandson Morris and I decided to explore some tracks high in the mountains to the north of our house.

The first skirted a gorge area north of the village of La Caunette.  Wildlife was quiet except for a few Linnets and the occasional Cirl Buntings.



Linnet

The second was a track much higher which got us up above the forest line. After areas of scrub the land opened up into heather clad open land.  Woodlarks were an obvious species feeding on bare ground but the highlight was finding family groups of Red-backed Shrikes.  Whenever I see these glorious birds I am reminded of my childhood and the many pairs which frequented my native Suffolk.



Male Red-backed Shrike

Many times I knew of nests and also found their "larders" of shrews etc spiked on brambles or barbed wire.  Sadly this species has largely gone from the UK now but I am pleased that they seem quite numerous in this part of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment