Thursday 5 May 2011

Things are Hotting Up

What a marvellous day!  Temperatures reached 25 degrees and almost no wind.  First thing I discovered a really weird stick insect clinging to our outside wall.


I had to go down to Olonzac early in the morning and was amazed to see 2 Great Spotted Cuckoos fly across the street near the Gendarmarie.  I have never seen this species so far east before.  I had to wait for an insurance assessor to look at my damaged vehicle so I sat in the very pleasant park for a while.  Nightingale song in here was thunderous interspersed with a competing Hoopoe. Overhead hundreds of Swifts were gathered feeding above the town.



Returning home I followed a gorgeous male Golden Oriole flying along the lane for a few metres.  Back in the garden I sat a while watching and listening.  Turtle Doves were now purring all around and a couple of Honey Buzzards passed over with dozens of Swifts.  Shortly after a pair of Short-toed Eagles displayed overhead with much calling.



This was enough to get out after lunch to see what else was happening.  Firstly I came across a young man birding called Olivier Lizot and as we chatted 2 Red-rumped Swallows passed by and a female Montagu's Harrier sparred angrily with a passing Buzzard.  Another Short-toed Eagle also flew by.

I moved on to Minerve where a couple of Alpine Swifts had at last arrived and were already prospecting their nesting caves.  Continuing to the garrigue I then spent at an hour watching at least 6 Montagu's Harriers displaying.  What a marvellous sight as they sky danced together calling frantically.  There seemed to be 3 pairs with one male still in "ring-tail" plumage.



I then went up to the meadows near Bois Bas where a Tawny Pipit fed close by the car.  I found nothing else so moved home.



As we sat eating supper on the terrace the Short-toed Eagles gave us another superb show soaring and diving together above the property.  On the grass Black Redstarts fed as the light faded.

No comments:

Post a Comment