Sunday 17 April 2011

Garden Wildlife

Spent the whole day in our French garden distributing the soil we collected yesterday.

There is always so much to see and it is worth keeping a look out for interesting insects.  Today on our flowering hedge I encountered a very splendid green beetle.  It was apparently taking nectar and
I have seen these before but I have no idea what it is.  Any ideas?



I sat down for a rest on a seat and within minutes this splendid male Common Redstart appeared and began feeding from a perch in the Pyracantha hedge.  Other migrants today included a White Wagtail, Sparrowhawk and a female Montagu's Harrier.  Our resident Short-toed Eagles were also overhead calling during the morning.



After lunch it became quite warm (23 degrees) and I noted a bit of Ocellated Lizard activity.  These large creatures seem to like my drainage pipes and every one has droppings at its entrance.  I watched three in all including this one the size of a rat and I wondered how he squeezed down the pipe.



With the work now done for a while I intend to go back to the marsh at Capestang tomorrow to see how things might have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment